Andy Hall

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:13:04 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Successive governments have allowed the NHS to grow like topsy into
the mess it is today.

There was nothing wrong with the NHS before your darling Thatcher got her
dirty mitts on it.

You may want to review its chequered history before 1979 before making
that point.

I recall one idiot Tory MP on TV slagging them because they didn't know the
cost of say an appendix operation. So they brought in tons of managers to
cost it all up. The costings were to prepare for privatisation as companies
only understand money figures. The NHS, quite rightly said we don't need to
know the cost.

Of course they need to know the cost, although I agree that they don't
need a huge army of government bureaucrats to figure it out.

Go and take a look at the NICE web site and the clinical policies and
you will discover that they are not nice at all.

Then go and look at a random sample of clinical studies.

www.pubmed.gov is a good resource with references to papers from all
over the world. If you select on almost any common medical
condition and NHS, you will find that this organisation thinks about
cost a lot. The problem is that the savings are attempted at the
sharp end and not in the fat belly where they should be.

We provide the treatment and drugs and charge. Very simple
very effective.

It wouldn't be a problem if they did.

--

..andy