Andy Hall

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:05:03 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

And why should they give up their infrastructure (that was given to them,
but that's another issue)

That's precisely *the* issue. The investment in copper was largely
made when it was a public corporation, so it is reasonable that other
companies should have access to it for reasonable price levels.

Well that argument would hold up if it was still the GPO and not a private
company that has modernised using there own funds....

You didn't read what I said. Most of the copper infrastructure was in
the ground prior to privatisation of BT. Post privatisation
investment has largely been in active infrastructure such as telephone
switches which LLU doesn't use.

The other companies still have to provide the switching and routing
infrastructure and that is far from cheap. They also have to satisfy
the customer.

But not the expensive cable networks...

As I said, they tried to provide their own networks but the cost was to
great, now they are trying to sponge off BT via Oftel.

You are confused about the business dynamic of the industry.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl