Thanks for your reply, Owain.

Dom wrote
| I've checked the fuses in the consumer unit, and the main off peak

fuse
| and all seem OK. I want to try everything possible before calling

out
| an electrician, as I'd like to learn as much as I can myself. What

are
| the next steps for investigation that you guys would take?

There should be either a timeswitch or a teleswitch, and possibly a
contactor (big relay), which switch the off-peak CU on at the

appropriate
times, as well as changing the meter from high to low rate. The
timeswitch/teleswitch will usually be Elect Board sealed and is their
problem.

As far as I can see there is a seperate off peak 60 amp fuse, connected
to the seperate off peak CU which has 4 fuses. As i'm in a flat all the
other flats seem to have this setup, all in the same cupboard in the
hallway. Last night I used a power detector during the off peak time,
and found that there was no current flowing through the 60amp fuse,
whereas all the other flats did have current through their fuses. This
is the fuse that I tested the other day, and found to be working so I
think I can assume that the elec company's equipment (meter or
otherwise) is not providing power to me for some reason?

Dom