Mary Fisher

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
The working space in Spouse's workshop/garage is very small so he stays
in one place all the time..

I told him about Andy Dingley's suggestions, he's going to look into it.

For that scenario it may well be workable, and better than what he
has.

What he has now is nothing!

I have to wonder about the potential merits of underfloor heating under
duck-boards for the small area in which he works, in addition to the
various described space heating. If your toes are warm, you're half way
there.

Oh his toes are warm enough, he's not daft enough to wear sandals in this
weather! It's his fingers, they lose heat to cold tools and materials. But
for others it's a thought. I got him to put a radiator on the wall behind
the kneehole of my desk so that when I was sitting still, here, I wouldn't
be cold.

Even localised underfloor heating in the garage, though, would be as
disruptive in our case as some other suggestions.

I was only making a passing comment, I didn't want to start a war :-)

I do believe, though, that being uncomfortable in a working situation leads
to inefficiency. In our case it's soluble by simply leaving the garage for a
while to warm through. For others that's not always possible and the most
suitable heating should be considered. That will be different according to
circumstances, there's no one-size-fits-all.

It's especialy useful to think about it if building/rebuilding a workshop,
when insulation and heating systems can be installed reasonably easily and
cheaply rather than leave it until it's too inconvenient.

Trouble is, we usually do this building when we're young and don't think
we're ever going to fail :-)

Mary