IMM

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:37:49 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:34:24 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..

[ re the British tax system ]

The whole setup needs to be dramatically scaled down.

Tax cuts are very popular..... until the service you need is done away
with...

With the exception of services such as defence, emergency services,
judiciary and others of that ilk, there is no need for government
involvement beyond making sure that there is directed funding for
those unable to make their own arrangements to be able to obtain them
- e.g. healthcare and education vouchers.

My opinion is that ALL of the basic "core" services - water, gas,
electricity, health, defence, emergency, judiciary and
telecommunications are entirely appropriate to the public sector.

Yep. Private monopolies should not be. If a service is nationwide then it
should be ruin by the gov.

The private sector exists to make a
profit rather than provide a
service - I have no problem with that.

I do. They are to provide the service first, not overpay themselves, as per
Rover, who are loosing money. Competition improves matters and that is
where the private sector is best. Not running a large service with no
competition.

"Enhanced services", such as
the internet are fine in the private sector, where real competition
can take place "for fun".

I entirely agree with many assertations that there is a lot of
inefficiency in the public sector,

There is lots in the private sector, but as it is not under public scrutiny,
they get away with it. Look at the drug companies. A captive market in
drugs and I have worked at some if some of the people there worked for a
nationalised industry, they would be sacked.

but fail to see any "service"
improvement by turning to the private sector. Look, if you will, to
the privatised former public services. The recently privatised
"companies" seem to gloat about their profits, which are paid for by
Joe Public, who has no realistic alternative supplier.

Private monopolies. Shouldn't be allowed and I would all the parasites who
are creaming it off.