Mary Fisher

"Rob Graham" wrote in message
om...
"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
"Adrian C" wrote in message
I've just kitted out my garage with a workbench and realised that it's
not
the most comfortable place to stand for hours when it's chilly. So I'm
thinking about a heater - more specifically one of those 1kW Halogen
near-infra-red heaters which I understand might heat me (and my
otherwise
frozen fingers) better than a fan heater trying to add heat to
limitless
amounts of cold air. I've seen such heaters for around £20. Drawbacks
on
this direct radiant heat approach?

none really. cheap and effective. obviously everybody would prefer a
nicely insulated and heat garage though.

Steve

Oh come on guys, insulation is cheap and is the key to any situation
like this. Ok it takes a little time to install it but the advantage
is huge. I really don't have any of the problems of cold feet, cold
hands, cold this an that and none of my tools suffer from
condensation.

Ours doesn't either. Our garage/workshop isn't damp.

I've used 2 inch expanded polystyrene sheets which are cut to shape
and have the added advantage of changing a dark surface into white
one. I have a small convector heater and the workshop heats up
quickly, controllably and inexpensively. You read any posting on
heating now and every time insulation is stated as the first way
forward.

Indeed - but only when there's room to install it.

Mary

Rob