Mary Fisher

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:19:12 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

We'd like to know if there's anything more efficient in fuel use and
heating
than the fan heater though.

Long infra-red - the white ceramic heating elements without the glow.
This wavelength is absorbed by people, but not the air, so a
wall-mounted heater can keep _you_ warm over a large area of workshop,
even if the ambient isn't changing by much.

Machine Mart have 2kW heaters, and eBay has them cheaper
(tools/industrial - plenty of them). My own is a little 500W jobbie
made with surplus heater elements. I wish it were bigger - it's fine
for working at the bench, but not the whole shed.

Thanks, I'll look further into that and tell him.

Or take up smithing. That's a good winter occupation 8-)

Of course, but you can't make the things he's making at the moment on an
anvil. I suspect he's saving smithing jobs for when winter really sets in!

Mary

--
Smert' spamionam