Chris

Default Gas meter regulations

I wonder whether anyone here knows about the requirements for the
position of domestic gas meters. I have a meter on the outside of my
(ex) garage wall. In 1989, the previous owner of the house built a
lean-to shed against the garage, enclosing the gas meter. At the same
time, the garage was coverted into a living room.

Recently, Transco came to change the gas meter because the previous
meter, though only a few years old, was being recalled. The Transco
person said that there were two issues:

1. He could not see that the electricity consumer unit was earthed to
the pipe from the gas meter. I know the earth connection is there but
it is on the other side of the wall, behind plasterboard.

2. He said that the gas meter should be moved outside the shed. The
plastic gas service pipe enters the shed under a concrete floor, then
rises about two feet to the meter on the wall.

Are there specific legal requirements for either of these features? I
have tried searching on the internet but can't find anything directly
referring to them.

I'd appreciate any help or pointers to relevant information.

Thanks, Chris