Grunff

Holly wrote:

Hi all,
We have recently made an oak staircase, which was glued together at the
joints. Excess glue was wiped off with a damp cloth at the time, and
bits which escaped this were scraped off with a chisel when dry. I am
currently staining and varnishing and the stain doesn't take where the
glue was wiped. I could sand this off but there is alot of it, mostly in
awkward corners and having just sanded, vacuumed and wiped the whole
thing I have no desire to start sanding again! Does anyone know of a
product which would remove the glue remains? Chemical name rather than
product name if possible since we are in France.

I doubt there will be a solvent which can dissolve set PVA without
adversely affecting the wood surface. Trichloroethane certainly
dissolves polymerised PVA, but don't rtry that on the wood!

I think that sanding is really going to be the only solution. If you
have lots to do, it's probably a good idea to fing a suitable powered
sander. A small reciprocating sander might be good, to get in all the
tight spaces.

--
Grunff