Brian Sharrock

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
fred wrote:
Hellerman sleeve oil - that's what's used to ease rubber sleeves onto
electronic cable. Electronics suppliers like RS etc. Quite pricey,

but a
little goes a long way, and it keeps well.

oooooooooooo, I remember those rubber sleeves so well, and the 3

pronged
'virgin breakers' we used to apply them with.

Heh heh. I've heard it called the honeymoon tool.

I use them lots - nothing to beat them. Difficult to get the selection

of
colours that were once available.

When I worked at GEC some years back, we had dustbins full of them
on the production lines. I grabbed some handfulls from our engineering
model shop when they decided to close it and chuck the contents in the
skip. Some 15 years later, I've run out of that stock and as you say,
finding anyone selling all the colours now is impossible. I now use the
dark grey ones, normally bought from Farnell.

All this talk of Hellerman oil, pliers and coloured sleeves ...
what mnemonic do 'they' (pc brigade) use to teach
the 'colour code' nowadays? I was taught it (by rote)
in the early sixties - can't believe the teaching method
has survived until this century.

--

Brian