Andy Hide

Default Moving a Hot Water Cylinder & Cold Water Tank

I'm in the process of moving my hot water cylinder and cold water tank
to a new location. Things are going well but I have a couple of
questions:

1) Should the cold water tank be directly above the hot water
cylinder? It was in it's old position. In the new position it's nearer
to an outside wall and the loft has a pitched roof. This means the
tank will be about 1.5 metres to the left of the cylinder below. Will
this reduce the head from the tank if the 22mm output from the tank
takes a straight run across the floor before it drops down to the
cylinder ? My guess is it makes no difference. It's the distance
between the top of the water in the cold tank and the bottom of the hw
cyl that's important.

2) I understand the vent pipe must be on a continual upward slope to
work properly and prevent air locks. If it's a longer run to the tank
does this matter so long as it's sloping upwards?

3) I've bought a Polytank PT2000 package from Screwfix and I need to
drill 27mm holes in the cold water tank. The adjustable tank cutters
i've found all say they make holes from 30mm upwards. I also have a
hole saw but the blades on this go up in 5mm increments (25mm, 30mm
etc). I've seen others in this forum have bought a Polytank. How did
you cut your tank holes guys ? I have the 25 gallon version of the
Polytank.

4) Any tips on tightening the hot water cylinder connections without
causing damage? It's foamed on the outside which makes gripping the
back of the connector with a second spanner (for the male connections)
just about impossible. I'm going to use PTFE on the threads. Do I just
do them up tightish without putting stress on the tank and that should
be sufficent ? I have no problem with the side of the connector that
has compression joints it's just the connections to the tank itself.

Thanks for any help with this.

Andy.