Capitol

Default Water Softener for combi in very hard water area

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...

And at £5 a month for salt, that's a lot of months before they pay for
themselves.

Superficially that is correct. However, my experience is that the washing
machine and dishwasher last a lot longer, she doesn't make me descale the
taps etc every 6 weeks, the car is easier to wash( not rinse), so I think
it's worth it!

By the way, I don't believe the electronic controllers are worthwhile when
compared with a crude timer. The chance of buying electronics spares after a
few years can be very iffy and if you have a large enough loft tank, the
volume of water in the tank may maintain a lower hardness level even if
regeneration is a day delayed. Anyway, you soon notice if the soap doesn't
lather, and do something about it. Generally, refill it with salt!
Regards
Capitol