Set Square

Frank Stacey wrote:

Having just (about) completed installation of a new wash-hand basin
none of my worries about plumbing the hot and cold water supplies
were realised. However, I now find that there is a leak from the
basin waste outlet. This is a metal tube with the "plug hole bit" at
one end and a thread at the other. It came complete with a plastic
nut. I put a bit of sealant round the plug hole bit but just
tightened the big plastic nut as much as I dared. It is around this
nut that the leak is occurring.
What is the approved method of sealing this sort of thing? Sealant,
ptfe tape and a few plastic washers are lying around ready to used.
Are any of these appropriate?

TIA

Frank [ the slightly less tentative plumber]

Use a large washer, with some Plumbers Mait spread on its upper surface,
under (or, strictly, *above*) the nut. Why is the nut plastic? A brass one
would be far better.
--
Cheers,
Set Square