Capitol

Default Roller Blind making

Stuart wrote in message ...
I need get two roller blinds . I have priced a pair at £80 made to measure
( they are a long drop) .
I can get a kitr to make a pair at £30 with the cost of fabric being extra
of course.
Has anyone eher ever made roller blinds . i was wondering how easy it is

They are easy enough to make, but it is better to buy blind fabric which is
ready stiffened. St Alban blinds sell fabric if you are in the Herts area.
The key points to watch out for a-
1) The roller mechanism is extremely critical if it is a spring back design.
Long blinds with nylon mechanisms suffer from friction welding if the rise
up speed is too fast. The best mechanisms were Swedish and metal, but these
seem to have disappeared now.
2) Plastic chain operating mechanisms seem more long lived than cord
operated systems.
3) If the blind is wide as well as long, it is best to use a metal or wooden
roller.
4) Long blinds may need two pieces of fabric stitched together. Best done
with a zigzag sewing stitch.
5) Getting the fabric attached squarely on the roller is critical, to ensure
that the blind drops without skewing off to one side. Double sided sticky
tape is adequate if a turn and a half is left on the roller at full
extension.

Hope this helps
Regards
Capitol