tarquinlinbin

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:36:41 +0000, lesshaste
wrote:

I have just had a smoke test done on my victorian brick chimney and
found that smoke comes out of two chimney pots on my roof. As a result
it seems I need a new steel flue liner. I have asked for quotes for
installation and apart from the fact that the "Corgi" engineer turned
out not to be the quotes were astronomical. So, to DIY...

The first issue really is to consider what happened to Rod Hull!!.

Do you feel comfortable working at heights? do you have a decent
ladder & cat ladder & fall arrest equipment?

The common product for this job is referred to as Copex liner (brand
name),,there will be others. Basically you tie a rope and weight to
one end,drop it down the chimney,one poor soul is on the roof feeding
it down,the other poor soul is at the botoom pulling the rope and
getting full of soot. Dont forget to nail a dust sheet up across the
fire opening to contain the mess,put dust sheets down,wear dust masks.
You then need to ensure that it is properly terminated and sealed at
both ends

joe