raden

In message , MikeS
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , MikeS
writes

Gabriel,
Doesn't a capacitor conduct electricity whilst its charging when its
charge
no electricity is conducted this is when it a dc current but of course if
its a/c current then it will charge and discharge to the frequency of the
a/c current.

It's an ac motor, and it's a motor start capacitor

please go on ...

--
geoff

When testing a capacitor it is safer using a mulitmeter using low voltage DC
than using mains with a lamp in series.

How so?

How are you going to test a capacitor properly with a multimeter?

If the capacitor has lost some of it's capacitance (common fault in CH
pump capacitors), it will still show as being a capacitor but might not
have enough oomph (technical term) to start the motor

Also, it might work perfectly well at low voltages but fail at mains.

Hence my rhetorical question re the characteristics of a capacitor. I know
its an AC drive motor. Safety first.

A friend of mine who had a good education, unlike me, wired up his mothers
iron he connected the positive to the positive terminal likewise the neg to
neg but for some reason only known to him he shared the earth connection
with the pos and neg terminals. and blew the company fuse. This is why I
don't take for granted the level of understanding when it comes to
electricity.

Especially as it's extremely unlikely that you'd get an iron working on
DC. There is no positive or negative, only live and neutral (+ earth)

Sounds like he didn't have much of a clue

You have only to see the fatility figures for the building industy to get a
clear idear how reckless some building workers are.

We're not on about reckless building workers, are we ?

--
geoff