Sunbeam

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Sunbeam wrote:
This afternoon I turned off a switched fused spur supplying a 3kw water
heater and got a packet off the switch. This is an MK dpdt thing with
non-metallic front and pattress. Plastic for want of a better word.
Supply is from a 16A mcb via a 60A rccb. All items and and cabling are
new within the last 2 months. All are located within an unheated
outdoor, but waterproof, building. Condensation may be a problem but
there was no sign of any water in, on or around the offending spur. I
put a tester to the plastic casing and it showed mains voltage over

most
of the surface.

The obvious answer is that it's been coated with something conductive.

That would seem most odd. This is a brand new fitting from a well known &
hopefully reputable manufacturer. It has been installed straight from the
box, correctly and with no modifications. The fitting has definitely not
been coated in any way other than by the manufacturer or the atmosphere.

Moisture on its own won't make plastic live.

Perhaps so, but it is the only reasonable alternative that I can think of
at present.
--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

A feeling that I also enjoy.

Sunbeam.