Mike Marlow

"Keith Carlson" wrote in message
news:6m2md.408724$D%.261058@attbi_s51...
"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
What do the experts have to say on this?

To date none of the experts have come up with a single
itty-bitty bit of evidence that PVC piping will lead to a
dust collector explosion.

That's the facts, the whole facts and nothing but the facts.

UA100, stopping at the Lancome' counter after suiting up to
go fly with Grandma, over the Sinai of course...

Interesting. So.....

In the book Woodshop Dust Control, Sandor
Nagisygnskfiwef(something-or-other) recommends that the reader NOT use
plastic pipe for the DC system, and shows a lot of detail on grounding
plastic pipe to prevent an explosion. He seems to consider it a real risk.

Yet the concensus here is that it's not a risk in a small-shop

environment.
(also other threads have pointed to some good sources of info on why an
explosion is unlikely).

In that book, he also recommends that a DC not be located near a furnace

or
water heater - appliances with a pilot light. Is he being overly cautious
in this warning, too? As long as the DC has decent bags so it's not

blowing
dust right through, how likely is it that there would be a high enough
concentration of dust to be ignited from a pilot light?

Well - even though I'm not answering your questions, let me throw another
twist into the game. Explosive environments, and by that I mean truly
explosive environments, require electrical switches that are rated for that
environment, so that the spark that typically occurs when you throw your
basic household light switch, does not cause an explosion. So - when was
the last time you heard of a dust explosion in a woodworking shop from a
light switch being thrown? I realize you could make an argument that an
open flame is a higher concentration of heat than a spark, if the threat of
explosion was truly as great as is claimed by some, wouldn't you think there
would be at least a mention of explosive environment light switches?
--

-Mike-