George

It's a matter of how many BF you need to do per session and lifetime. The
big iron will process boards with its induction-run motor after the
universal is toast. It will also be accurately referenced after the small
one has shaken itself to pieces. That's why they make 'em.

Doesn't sound as if you need one for pure hobby work, though. Just remember
you've got "good enough" engineering, and keep your sessions short, your
cuts minimal. Other than that, only disadvantage is the lack of serrated
infeed and bed rollers for rough stock. Keep that bed polished to a "T" and
remember first flip may need some feed help.

"Dave" wrote in message
As you are all aware, benchtop planers have come down in price
dramatically. I am considering buying my first planer, and I want it to be
the last planer I buy. I plan to make home furniture as a hobby, probably
low volume over a few decades. Portability is not an issue, and I do have
220v access with a good size shop. Is there a steep improvement in final
product quality with larger floor models? Do you think I should buy a
benchtop model, or save the dough and buy a floor model? If you had to do

it
over again, which size would you buy?

Dave