JGS

Hi Dave,
I think Mike has given you some fine advice. Normally when "we" say that we
want it to be our "last" unit we mean that we do not want to buy something
lacking in features or capacity only to upgrade later. I don't think the modern
bench tops are missing much and with the money left over you are a long way to
paying for a drum sander. Cheers, JG

Mike in Mystic wrote:

do you mean to imply that the floor models do NOT give nice finish cuts?
That spiral cutter head with the indexed carbide cutters from Grizzly sure
looks like it would give a nice finish.

My advice to the home shop owner would be to get a nice portable planer -
probably the 3 cutter head dewalt, or maybe one of the smaller spiral headed
ones from Grizzly. Then supplement this with a 16/32 or so drum sander to
handle larger panels and more gnarly wood. (you can also or additionally
buy certain hand planes to do this).

Mike

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Floor model = hogging off more at one time and available in
wider versions.

Portable = nice finish cuts but limited to 12"-13" ish.

Answer, one of each, dependent upon what you really want to
do.

UA100