Andy Dingley

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:20:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

If you like and can afford a Jaguar, would you buy an Escort?

As they're both Fords, I wouldn't buy either.

Same with cast iron "four post" machines. Unless you're getting a
good one, not the usual retail stuff, these give a _worse_ finish than
a suitcase planer. OK, so they can shift timber quickly and they're
much quieter, but there's a compromise in there. They're also not
very wide - 15" isn't that much more useful than 13"

Personally I use a cheap suitcase planer, because after studying a few
models in action I found one that was noticeably better than the
competition. If the knives are sharp it also gives me a good finish,
better than my jointer.

If I was spending some more money and wanting to buy "a planer for
life", then it would be a big industrial bought S/H for about the same
as a new four post.
--
Smert' spamionam