J. Clarke

philski wrote:

tzipple wrote:

Saw that article this month (Fine Woodworking) on SawStop. With
thousands of amputations a year occuring with tablesaw accidents, any
bets on how long it takes for this to be a standard feature? It seems to
me that it will get hard for manufacturers to avoid it, if for no other
reason than to head off lawsuits from people who claim that the
manufactures had the option to manufacture a safer saw. And if it works
and is reasonable priced, it is probably a good thing to have as
standard equipment... like seatbelts, airbags, etc.

Thousands of Amputations? Damn. Can you site some official figures of
those "thousands" of amputees? I ain't buyin' it...

This was discussed a while back. I found a source of information on this
then--you can find that post at
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sa...rking+author:J
+author:Clarke&start=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&selm=cc2fj7019lo%40news2.newsg uy.com&rnum=11

In short though, in 2002 there were approximately 3503 table-saw
amputations, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/neiss.html. That site also explains the
methodology--it's based on emergency-room reports though.

Philski

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)