Bob McConnell

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:47:03 -0000, "SB"
wrote:

Hi,

Being only 13 and on a small budget, I am yet to buy a workmate.I don't want
one which is essentially a table, I want like a workmate. Yesterday, trying
to handhold a piece of wood whilst filing it was no fun task. Please can you
give me any recommendations. Also it must be very sturdy.

Cheers,

SB

A couple of years ago, I found a kit with a pair of sawhorses and a
bench top that fit on top of one sawhorse. The top had a built in vise
with several movable dogs. It is all plastic, and wouldn't stand up to
heavy use, but is fine for basic hand and Dremel carving, cutting
light wood with a jigsaw or drilling. Mine has lots of scratches from
my X-acto razor saws. I think the package was about US$20 at Sam's
Club. I see similar kits at Lowes once in a while.

I have a mini-workmate, the B&D version that clamps to the edge of a
table or workbench. It's also for light duty work. If I had room, I
would either get the full sized Workmate, or build a full workbench,
but that's not in the cards for my current house. Maybe after I
retire, if we do move to Arizona, . . .

I also check Big Lots occasionally for discounted tools. Most of them
aren't worth carrying home, but occasionally there are some real
bargins on brand name products. It all depends on whose warehouse they
cleaned out last month. I once found a PanaVise that works very well
for holding parts from my grandchildrens' Tommy Tank sets while I put
them bck together. That ball mount is very convenient.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP