Bob

"SB" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Being only 13 and on a small budget, I am yet to buy a workmate.I don't

want
one which is essentially a table, I want like a workmate. Yesterday,

trying
to handhold a piece of wood whilst filing it was no fun task. Please can

you
give me any recommendations. Also it must be very sturdy.

A workmate is a good starter, until you can graduate to a real workbench. A
pair of sturdy sawhorses is also an option. You can build a clamp on the
top of your sawhorse using a wedge principal. I'm sorry I don't have a
link - I've seen one somewhere but cannot find it at the moment.

Woodworkers for centuries made ingenious of various shapes of wedges to hold
wood. I'd suggest you read up on that.

Before I got a workbench, I had a large metal vice bolted to a piece of
plywood. I clamped it to the top of a sawhorse with two F-clamps.

Bob