J. Clarke

WoodMangler wrote:

Charlie Self did say:

I love this time of year, early morning before it's light, and nippy air
that helps clear the head. Today, I need to cut some cabinet doors, and I
don't want to waste plywood, so I was standing outside thinking it
out--this sometimes works better than pencil and paper--when I realized
my rural area was suffering from a bit of light pollution that wasn't
here a few years ago.

I think it's these blasted dusk to dawn insurance lights. Every small
church has at least five (insurance companies require them at every
entrance and every obstacle of certain types). Many houses, including one
across the road, and two others a quarter mile up the road, have one.

I guess those are basic directional pointers for thieves, much like a
sign saying, "Hey, here's something worth stealing".

But I did get the placement figured out for my two doors. I can warm the
shop and get those cut today.

Just how difficult is it to create light fixtures that direct all of the
light DOWN? One of the great things about where I live was the night sky.
Now, I get to see about 75% of it due to the streetlights glaring skyward.

If you fly over the area at night you'll likely find that most of the
streetlights are not "glaring upward". You'll see nicely illuminated
little circles of ground with no bright spot in the middle.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)