IMM

Default Thickness of ceiling joists in loft

"Mal" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mal" wrote in message

The problems with most modern houses
are that the ceilings are too low and
the rooms too narrow. No dount all
thanks to ergonomics - the science
of making things just too small to be
comfortable.

I agree with that 110%. We are more concerned
with keeping boring green
fields than caring for people.

Making each room a foot taller won't affect
land useage.

Very true, and using basements won't either.

Adding a couple of feet in each direction to
the rooms could be done too, with a minimal
reduction in the number of houses on a plot
(just put them closer together
if needs be).

Or just give more land. Over development is rife,and Two Jags gave into the
Countryside Alliance and is insisting on tighter development. Ludicrous.

That's all it needs to make most new
homes massively more liveable - and
it wouldn't add much to the building cost either.

very true.

The problem is not lack of land, but lack
of regulations specifying minimum
dimensions for new builds.

Very true. There is not lack of land, it is "available building land" that
is the problem. the will not release it.

Today's obsession with environment (only
the outdoor environment, mind,
which is not where most people spend
their time) means a lack of fresh
air and higher levels of pollutants indoors.
When I lived in a new flat, I felt
like I was always getting a cold (that bunged
up feeling). As soon as I
moved to a draughty old victorian house
with single glazing and open fires,
I felt much healthier.

Downlighters and walls light make the
ceilings taller. Ventilation is easy
to install into any house or flat.

No, it's taller walls that make ceilings higher.

Physically, yet mentally how the room is arranged and coloured can make a
room seem twice the size.

Downlighters just make
them brighter.

Dimmers can take care of that.

I'll still scuff my head on a dangly light fitting, no
matter how well lit the surrounding walls.

Don't ha have dangling lights. I don't. The ceilings appears much taller.

No ventillation that would pass any
eco-test is as good as my draughty
windows and open fireplaces for
keeping the air fresh. Inefficient, I know,
but I feel better for it.

A Vet Axia unit in the loft blowing into the hall, via the ceiling makes all
the difference. Easily retrofitted.