Mike Marlow

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
news:yawld.1482$N_5.603@trnddc03...

I got the idea from (IIRC) the "grounding straps" sometimes used when
repairing computers. It's my understanding these all have a resistor in
them to limit the current flowing through the repair-person in the event

of
current-to-ground.

Techs don't ground themselves when working on live power which is the only
way that current could flow. That would be dangerous. Grounding is used to
dissipate static electricity so that circuits aren't damaged. These are
circuits that are being worked on with no power. It would serve no purpose
to put any kind of a current limiting resistor in the ground path to
dissipate static electricity. In fact, it would be counterproductive.

As a kid I was badly shocked by 1960's era tools (*) and I admit I may be
overly concerned about a direct circuit to ground (especially since the
ground wire of a standard 3-prong outlet does the same thing if I

understand
home wiring correctly). But suppose I'm concerned about doing something
really stupid like grabbing the DC grounding wire in a sweaty hand, then
biting through the cord of my Skilsaw. Would a properly-sized resistor
between the DC grounding wire and ground help in this situation?

No resistor would help that kind of foolishness. BTW - your body is more of
a resistor than the wire, so in effect there is already a current limiting
resistor in the circuit. I think you should stay away from electrical
appliances though - at least until you get your fear of doing stupid things
under control a bit...
--

-Mike-