Rob Stokes

Oh, stop with the exploding PVC dust collection systems Max. It's a myth. Is
it possible? Yes. But the circumstances would have to be such that a million
other things in the shop would have caused a sawdust bomb long before a PVC
DC system would.

There are no (as in not one) documented incident of this happening. the
closest thing on record is a grain elevator explosion.
Grounding is always good...
Metal is better, but PVC is just fine.
It's not a serious issue. In fact, it's not an issue at all.

Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"max" wrote in message
If any one uses plastic pipe for their dust collector you have to make

sure
to ground it or it can explode. Plastic is an insulator and the friction

of
the dust moving through it can cause a static buildup and then an

explosion.
There are many documented incidents of this happening. I run a bare metal
wire through all of the pipe and attach it to the dust collector housing

and
the tool housing to pick up the static discharge, This is a serious issue.
max

"TEF" wrote in message
I know that a lot of you have utilized white 4" PVC pipe in their

workshop
Dust Collection systems. I am thinking about doing the same in order
provide multiple inputs around my shop for a 2 HP DC. However, I note

that
when buying the 4" PVC that measurement denotes the inside diameter,

while
standard WW DC hardware (blast gates and other connections) measure 4"

as
the outside diameter. If I were to integrate the PVC with standard WW
flexible hose and other fittings, how does one make the mechanical
connections between the two sets of materials? Does one just jam the

WW
parts into the PVC? Are there adapters in the plumbing world that

could
be
used to transition between the two systems?

Quick advice tips:

1. Dust collection fittings sold in Woodworking stores are grossly
overpriced. But you may need some of them anyway.
2. Buy your hose clamps at Lowe's or Home Depot. They are cheaper and
better.
3. Be sure to use S&D pipe (Sewer and Drain), not Schedule 40 pipe. The
latter is about 2-3 times the price.

I use a woodworking fitting called a splice fitting to adapt to flex

hose.
Its overpriced but the convenience is worth it, I guess. These are
available in various incarnations. Here's a link to one
http://tinyurl.com/3tm4w.

I make slits in the PVC pipe to allow it to clamp down on the splice
tightly. I'll post some pics in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Bob