Doug Goulden

Been seeing the Northern Lights up here in the UP also they are beautiful.

"Eric Johnson" wrote in message

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
I love this time of year, early morning before it's light, and nippy air
that
helps clear the head. Today, I need to cut some cabinet doors, and I

don't
want
to waste plywood, so I was standing outside thinking it out--this
sometimes
works better than pencil and paper--when I realized my rural area was
suffering
from a bit of light pollution that wasn't here a few years ago.

I think it's these blasted dusk to dawn insurance lights. Every small
church
has at least five (insurance companies require them at every entrance

and
every
obstacle of certain types). Many houses, including one across the road,
and two
others a quarter mile up the road, have one.

I guess those are basic directional pointers for thieves, much like a

sign
saying, "Hey, here's something worth stealing".

But I did get the placement figured out for my two doors. I can warm the
shop
and get those cut today.

Charlie Self
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed

(and
hence
clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of
hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken

I don't mind the farmers when they are out near the livestock but I drive

by
a place on the way to work and they have mercury vapor d.t.d. lights
literally screwed to the north and south gable ends of their new country
home. Makes me want to knock on the door and ask 'em if they're afraid of
the dark why did they move out here.
I was thinking you were going to mention the northern lights we've been
seeing here in southern WI for the last few days. Now thats light

pollution
I can live with.

EJ