AAvK

Ten Que Beddy Much. Stop by the shop when you've
got an hour and I'll show you all the "features" I
cleverly made (read screw ups that got more or
less fixed and now called features/enhancments)
Here are some OOPS examples while doing this bench
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/OOPS/OOPS1.html
fourth and fifth images
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/OOPS/OOPS3.html
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/OOPS/OOPS4.html
The through drawers seemed like such a good idea.
To date, other than to demonstrate that they
can be opened from either side of the bench, I've
yet to need that feature in day to day use.
To err is human. To not cut on the waste side is dumb!
(MARK THE WASTE SIDE! MARK THE WASTE SIDE!)
charlie b

I understand you, but it is the heavy bulk and thick design idea, the mass of it that makes it
entirely substantial to me, Jaaaaa, ist DAS BENCH!! With the drawers it is based on a shaker
type design, correct?

Already I bought my top maple of 8/4 stock and have screwed-up, 8 1/2" wide boards x 121"
long cut in half the distance, 60" and 61", the ends that had some cracking, marked for that
1" cut-off I goofed on one and had to glue and clamp it, last night.

When I did the ripping, I was tought to go thirds-up from the lower side, raising the blade 1/3
at a time through that1 3/4" (a donated 12" Fuang Yung table saw LOL), and a few of the
boards slightly bowed on me damn it, all on their own. One board came out tapered from
2 1/4" on one end to 2 1/8" on the other for crap's sakes, but it is the up and down width and
not the clamping faces. Maybe I should buy more? naaaaawwwww.... sheesh, wait a minute...
maybe so!

Now what I need is a layout pattern for dog holes, that work with vises. I have a 7"x4"12" deep
woodworker's antique made by American Scale Co. KS, MO, from WAY back, all there except
the sliding dog's threaded handle. That should go on the front.

Now I need an end vise, I would like a twin screw but can's afford the Veritas one, and Rockler
has discontinued theirs. So, do you think two shoulder vise screws can be mounted side by side
on the same face of the end of the bench and work well that way? Maybe I could buy two bicycle
sprocket gears, have the local machinist bore the centers to fit the shafts and weld them on,
whaddya think? (Sorry for SO MUCH text, but I am in serious learning mode here)

Alex