David Merrill

Consider joining or contributing to the International Dark Sky Association"
http://www.darksky.org/ or, better yet, bringing their recommendations and
your concerns to the attention of the local/state government officials who
oversee public lighting.

These are exactly the problems they formed to combat and they have achieved
some success in some states and localities. Yes, outdoor lighting can be
designed to shine only in controlled directions (downward). In fact, its
more efficient (saves money) that way.

David Merrill

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
... I was standing outside thinking it out--this sometimes
works better than pencil and paper--when I realized my rural area was

suffering
from a bit of light pollution that wasn't here a few years ago.

I think it's these blasted dusk to dawn insurance lights. Every small

church
has at least five (insurance companies require them at every entrance and

every
obstacle of certain types). Many houses, including one across the road,

and two
others a quarter mile up the road, have one.