Charlie Self

Chris Hornberger responds:

Growth sucks, but every single one of us who moves off to "greener pastures"
is part of the problem. It's up to us to try to keep things as we want it. I
won't let them put street lights in once I'm a member of the home owner's
association. I like it quiet. I like it dark. I like the (relative)
solitude.

I moved to this area about 28 years ago as a geographic cure for a failing
marriage. It didn't work immediately, but the area did. I selected the area
mostly because it was well away from anything, but close enough to 2 small
cities for shopping. It has now become something of bedroom community for
Lynchburg & Roanoke, unfortunately. I watched the same sort of thing happen
when I was a kid in NY, in Westchester County. It is unfortunate, expensive,
and the results are nasty.

That said, if I ever had to deal with a homeowner's association, I'd probably
shoot myself.

Charlie Self
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence
clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of
hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken