Ben Schofield

Default Building regs: 30 mins fire resistance

Hi all,

I live in the attic of a house which has been converted into flats.
During the decoration (ahem) of the lounge, I've opened up a storage
space under one of the eaves, which was previously closed off. Before
I board out this space, I think I ought to meet current building regs
with regard to creating a fire compartment here. As this is a
three-storey flat conversion, the building regs say that 30 minutes
`could' be acceptable here.

The space has a suspended ceiling (belonging to the flat below) about
1m underneath it.

So, my question is: will 9.5mm of plasterboard and 18mm of chipboard,
plus the suspended ceiling below, give me the 30 mins fire resistance
I require? What about 18mm of chipboard alone? Or is this one for the
local BCO? :-)

Ben.