Chris Hornberger

"Eric Johnson" wrote in message

I don't mind the farmers when they are out near the livestock but I drive

by
a place on the way to work and they have mercury vapor d.t.d. lights
literally screwed to the north and south gable ends of their new country
home. Makes me want to knock on the door and ask 'em if they're afraid of
the dark why did they move out here.
I was thinking you were going to mention the northern lights we've been
seeing here in southern WI for the last few days. Now thats light

pollution
I can live with.

I wholeheartedly agree with the "afraid of the dark" sentiment. I moved
about 50 miles away from Philly recently to rural (but growing - I can't
complain too much I guess - I'm part of the problem) Chester County. My
local development doesn't have street lights, per se, but relies on each
property's post lamp. It's enough that I can walk the pooch without breaking
a leg, but not so much that I can still stop, look up and see more stars
than the city-bound folk have ever seen.

Growth sucks, but every single one of us who moves off to "greener pastures"
is part of the problem. It's up to us to try to keep things as we want it. I
won't let them put street lights in once I'm a member of the home owner's
association. I like it quiet. I like it dark. I like the (relative)
solitude.