Andy Dingley

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 21:17:14 -0500, "TEF" wrote:

I just received a Delta 14-651 Mortiser and I am wondering about the setup
of the auger bit to the chisel housing.

Get some decent chisels. Most of the "entry level" morticers come with
poor chisels. Some of the cheapest morticers are a bad idea, just
because they use a small shoulder size that stops you from buying
those good quality but cheap industrial surplus chisels.

Use the "nickel trick" (Google) - You set the chisel up with a small
shim (a nickel) under its seat, set the auger to rub against it, then
take the shim out and push the chisel back to leave a suitable spacing
between chisel and auger.

The vary the thickness of your "nickel" a little, according to the
timber you're working. Thick nickels for soft woods.

Make sure your auger and chisel are staying where you left them,
especially for the chisel pulling downwards. Listen to the sound of
the morticer - if it changes, something has moved.

Be wary of sharpening the chisels - it doesn't need much of it and
it's easy to damage them. Cheaper chisels often have poor heat treat
and you can work right through the hard layer.

Don't "sharpen" the outside of the chisel. You're just asking for
binding problems.

--
Smert' spamionam