Andy Dingley

On 9 Nov 2004 14:23:00 -0800, Bannerstone
wrote:

I've often felt an Emmert clone on the opposite end from the tail vise would be great.

Friend of mine has one of these as his only woodworking vice. It's
very useful, but a bit of a pain to use. You don't often want to tilt
or wedge it, but there's no good "off" position where the wedging cam
will sit still with the jaws square. It's a bit slow to work with, as
you're always having to tweak it back square.

It's nice and wide for an iron vice though.

P.S. Its always good to have a smallish/medium sized machinist's vise mounted
on a board that can be trapped in one of the vises on your bench. Very handy!

I'm a bit wary of that - most of my work is in one of two materials;
oak or welded steel. I'm pretty paranoid across cross contamination
between them and iron staining. Mainly I use two workshops, 40 miles
apart - I think that's enough separation! For cleanliness I keep the
small metalworking vice that's in the woodworking shop on my old
bench, not the "clean" bench.

--
Smert' spamionam