AAvK

The front vice and shoulder vice seem to be straightforward and as you
described below. I'm wondering about modifying the shoulder vice so the
screw could stay in place and go into a horizontal recess in the tabletop.

Hard to picture, but I'd think that would take away area/space when in face mode
and maybe limit the tail mode for movement.

In use one would simply place the face on the screw and be on your way. Of
course the screw would have to come out when long items are in the front
vice. I appreciate any thoughts and insight.

Yes that's the problem if using a bench screw for the shoulder mode. how does the
face attach to the screw's end? No hands-on experience here.

Did you see the pictures of the whole plan? I wouldn't include the tail vise part
myself because of the space I have. You can see the tail jaws in the top picture.
Awesome design altogether.

Alex