Dave

Thanks to you both. I really like the 3-in-1. I'll look into that a little
more.

"AAvK" wrote in message

I'm not sure what I'd do, just that I don't like the shoulder vice.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/bench.htm
It's a good vice for holding bulky half-built things, but it's useless
for small stuff. There's a large wobbling wooden jaw, closed by a
steel screw two inches below the top level. You can't hold anyhting
less than 3" tall, or the jaw just tilts.
I'd probably go for the largest and widest cast iron vice I could
find, with wooden jaws added.

Here's the best one I've seen, a 3-in-1 shoulder vise:
http://pages.infinit.net/perrons/Pau.../woodvise.html
I might just do it if I could get it going with the large tapping and
threading.

Alex