Larry Blanchard

In article ,
says...
The gravel and glass (assuming a glass aquarium) will raise the
average density significantally.

Only if you're a geology museum. Most aquarium keepers are trying hard
to optimise the fish volume, so any rock in there is a pretty small
fraction. Some of those "rocks" are even lighter than water, if
they're a flat moulded plastic reef backdrop.

I have live plants. They exist in 2" of gravel with 1" of sand. That's
about the minimum for rooted plants.

The gravel came in a 20 pound bag. I didn't weigh the sand, but would
guess another 10 pounds. In a 10 gallon aquarium that's 600 cubic
inches. I don't think they displace 3 gallons of water :-).