Charlie Self

Owen Lowe responds:

In article ,
otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I think some form of conception prevention is needed on an
early and long term basis, with possible voluntary reversal at the option

of
the person. Most people, probably a majority, are able to plan their lives

so
that abortion is not used as contraception. For those who cannot, long

term,
reversible sterilization is an answer.

Uh-oh Charlie. Better step lightly or you'll fracture the Catholic vote.
As I understand it the "church" doesn't condone artificial birth control
(at least that's what my converted-to-Catholisism sister has to say on
the matter).

http://catholicism.about.com/cs/sex/f/faqartbc.htm

Yeah. I was once engaged to an RC woman. Lotsa problems there with a lapsed
Baptist. Rhythm only. And that's pure crapshoot.

An awful lot of church doctrine is based on medieval, or earlier, needs, which
included a lot of kids to replace those lost to various illnesses and injuries.

Your idea may have some sense and merit, but the liberal-centrist in me
has a real problem with it. Reminds me of "Welcome to the Monkey House"
by Kurt Vonnegut. (Or was it Ray Bradbury?)

Yeah, well, it does have problems. So does everything else I've ever heard of
that might come close to solving the mess, though.

Charlie Self
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power." Abraham Lincoln