Charlie Self

jo4hn writes:

Some thoughts: Current efforts, such as education and outlawing
abortion have never been effective. How about this: Install or implant
prior to puberty, some sort of device that renders all children sterile.
When it is time for a baby, the device/implant is reversed, conception
and birth occur and the sterilization is reinstalled. To be sure, this
requires some science and engineering to come up with the
device/procedure/medication to implement affordable reversible
sterilization for men and women, but all it takes is some time and money.

Your homework is to work out the details of the implementation. I.e.
who approves the reversal? How does one "sell" this to a sceptical public?

Other methods may be chastity belts for men and women. Let your
imaginations soar on this one. Perhaps some combination of ideas may
work. Try it. Murdering health workers is not an option.

I see problems even before you start. My first wife is a social worker. Back
something like 25 years ago, there was a movement afoot, if that's the word, to
put the implant five year contraception devices--Norforms?--in the arms of
women who have had more than, IIRC, 3 kids while on welfare. The outbursts from
various sources were absolutely incredible to me, but she felt, as did many
thousands of others, that it was an infringement of a woman's right to have
children, thus a form of slavery.

To me, that was utter bull****, because what was happening was that women were
having kids almost by the litter, forcing those of us who paid taxes to slave
to pay their bills.

But you're right. I think some form of conception prevention is needed on an
early and long term basis, with possible voluntary reversal at the option of
the person. Most people, probably a majority, are able to plan their lives so
that abortion is not used as contraception. For those who cannot, long term,
reversible sterilization is an answer. The only problem right now, other than
possible non-acceptance by the public, is the lack of assured reversibility in
any form of long term conception I know of, except maybe the above. And I don't
know if they're still around.

Charlie Self
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power." Abraham Lincoln