jo4hn

Todd Fatheree wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

[snip] Abortions are not going to stop because they are illegal.
They are just going to damage or kill more poor people.

Why don't we just legalize any behavior that continues to be practiced even
though it is illegal?

todd

And we can throw the baby out with the bathwater while we're at it.
Charlie is right. There is a need for abortion in this society. So
let's work on the "need" part. This is called characterizing the
problem which is (MO) "we need to reserve pregnancy to those who really
want (need? can support?) a child and will rear it to the best of their
abilities to adulthood." Feel free to edit the "want" part with other
verbs or combinations thereof. Once that is done, we can try to
formulate solutions.

Some thoughts: Current efforts, such as education and outlawing
abortion have never been effective. How about this: Install or implant
prior to puberty, some sort of device that renders all children sterile.
When it is time for a baby, the device/implant is reversed, conception
and birth occur and the sterilization is reinstalled. To be sure, this
requires some science and engineering to come up with the
device/procedure/medication to implement affordable reversible
sterilization for men and women, but all it takes is some time and money.

Your homework is to work out the details of the implementation. I.e.
who approves the reversal? How does one "sell" this to a sceptical public?

Other methods may be chastity belts for men and women. Let your
imaginations soar on this one. Perhaps some combination of ideas may
work. Try it. Murdering health workers is not an option.

mahalo,
jo4hn