John

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:00:15 -0700, "buck"
wrote:

Is there any safety reason for the standard height rule of "elbow height"
when setting up a lathe on a bench or stand. Is there a some safety issues
involve. I will be doing some light spindle work a couple times a month for
only an hour or so and I have a nice workbench for the lathe. The lathe on
the bench will result in the lathe spindle being about 4-5 inches higher
than elbow height.... Any real problem here?? Is the lathe more dangerous
at this level than at elbow level.
-Thanks

I think others have already answered this, but you might be interested
in a picture I've just posted in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Can't recall where I got the picture from, but it's apparently
somewhere in England, I think pre-1930, possibly even pre-WW1.

Posted it because:

(a) the operating height seems very high compared to what we're used
to these days (or he may be sitting, the easier to use the treadle),
and

(b) The turner seems to be using what we sometimes assume is a modern
development - a bowl saver.

John