Joe Fleming

Peter,

The "original" coring system was a Stewart Slicer in an armbrace.
This system makes conical cores. Many still use it today. There are
three dedicated coring systems on the market: McNaughton, Woodcut and
Oneway. Depending on what you are corings, what shapes you want and
how big a lathe you have, may swing your choice to one tool or
another.

Very briefly, if you are making production bowls and want to do it
quickly and easily, you might want to consider the Woodcut (for a
smaller lathe) or the Oneway for a larger lathe. This is assuming
that you want to produce bowls that, more or less, approximate
hemispherical proportions. Oneway can go much larger, but it is also
the most expensive of the three. If you want to make nests of various
shapes ranging from broad and flat to tall and deep, then the
McNaughton can't be matched. In my opinion, it is the most flexible
of the three systems.

Having said that, there are probably users of each system that can get
comparable results to the others. Mike Mahoney, for example, uses
McNaughton for production bowl turning and he is like a machine.

Lyn Mangiameli wrote a lengthy review of coring systems in "More
Woodturning" about a year ago. You can find his review of bowl saving
systems on their website at:

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

I wrote a 3-part follow-up article in "More Woodturning" on using
coring systems.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

(Peter) wrote in message . com...
I'm considering getting a bowl Corer. I have never used any, so I was
wondering if one type of system outperforms another.
The 2 types I have only ever seen are the Kelton and Woodcut both seem
to work just fine.
any ideas.
Peter