Ralph

I've been using hot glue for about 3 years now. I use either a glue gun
to glue down the faceplate or dip the face plate into a "vat" of hot
glue depending on the size and weight of the blank. In preperation for
gluing the faceplate I first blow any dust of the wood and in the case
of heavier pieces I heat the faceplate first.

This has worked in about 98% of My Work, which I think is pretty good
since I have had some pieces leave the faceplate or chuck no matter what
method I used.

Jim Gott wrote:
Are the 3/8" transparent glue sticks and little
glue guns from craft shops satisfactory for holding 8" green blanks?
BRBR

Arch,
I'm not sure I'd trust hot melt glue for holding a blank to a glue block. The
type I've used before is mostly for craft-type applications, and it never gets
really hard, and it's not that difficult to pry pieces apart that have been
glued with it.
Better to use thick CA glue. Christian Burchard uses thick CA on the glue block
and sprays accelerator on the blank before mating it to the glue block. It sets
up in seconds and he's ready to go. He works with wet madrone blanks a lot and
it works for him.
Before using hot melt glue I'd do a test--glue two pieces together and then pry
them apart with a screw driver or chisel. You'll probably find that it will
cleanly separate from at least one of the surfaces.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA