JGM

These are
mud duabers. I saw one building a nest outside in Spring and they are
distinctive looking.

So being that they are beneficial, I am resigned to having a wasp's nest in
my living room.

"Beneficial" does not necessarily apply to indoors, where there is no
ecosystem for them to be beneficial for; the lack of natural food will probably
cause problems in the long run.

I'm sure the usual outdoor approach of wasp spray and a broomstick to break
up and knock down the nest would work, but I don't know if I'd want to spray
that stuff in the living room, either. Perhaps someone with extermination
experience can comment.

JGM