Joshua Putnam

In article ,
says...

It would seem like you wouldn't "run out" in the same way you do with a tank.
If, for example, you had two showers and a dishwasher going, there might not
be enough capacity to keep everything at desired temperature -- it's a function
of load rather than size. Perhaps someone can give an example of how many
different hot-water usages (say, two not-too restricted shower heads?) are
typically possible with different size tankless heaters?

We have the Takagi TK-2. It will easily handle running two showers, the
dishwasher, and the washing machine at the same time. Of course, your
mileage may vary depending on your intake water temp, energy density of
your fuel gas, and the specifics of your plumbing.

Our Takagi replaced a large tank water heater in the kitchen -- we wanted
the extra room in the kitchen, and the TK-2 cost less than any reasonable
alternative for installing a tank heater since we didn't have any
convenient alternative location for the tank.

In new construction, I've seen it pencilled out that tankless costs less
overall if you mount the heater on an outside wall to minimize venting
costs, *if* you include the cost of the building space consumed by a
large tank. 6-10 square feet isn't unusual for a tank, and not every
house can conveniently have the tank in the garage or other low-cost
square footage.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/