JGM

jetgraphics wrote:

Robert11 wrote:

Tankless units generally cost more than tank units.
Fuel cost is generally lower than tank units.
Depending on capacity, a tankless may or may not "run out of hot water".

It would seem like you wouldn't "run out" in the same way you do with a tank.
If, for example, you had two showers and a dishwasher going, there might not
be enough capacity to keep everything at desired temperature -- it's a function
of load rather than size. Perhaps someone can give an example of how many
different hot-water usages (say, two not-too restricted shower heads?) are
typically possible with different size tankless heaters?

If one planned to use a solar hot water heater, or other conservation
measures, it would be reasonable to spend more money for a tankless.
If one was not concerned with conservation, the bottom line would recommend
a standard tank water heater.

Not sure I follow this logic -- how is a desire for conservation different
from a desire for a lower electric bill?

The main reason I have been hesitating to buy one of these is exactly that it
*doesn't* run out of water -- sometimes the bottom of the tank is the only
thing that will get teenagers out of the shower.

JGM