Matt

Use wood to edge band, as the others have said.
I have used a 3/4 strip to cover the edges of ply or particle board
shelving in a similar project. It is a lot faster to install than iron on
edge banding.
It can be finished where the plastic banding cannot be. If the edges are in
a high use area such as a desk top or dvd/tape shelf in an entertainment
unit, it is more durable.

Matt

"Malcolm Webb" wrote in message
o.uk...
I shall shortly be lining out a redundant window alcove to form a set of
bookshelves. The dimensions are 80 inches tall; 24 inches wide and 10
inches deep. I am minded to use 3/4 inch birch ply. What does the team
suggest is the best way to hide the end grain on the front edges of the
carcase and shelves?

Many thanks.

Malcolm Webb