Frank Ketchum

"Malcolm Webb" wrote in message
o.uk...
I shall shortly be lining out a redundant window alcove to form a set of
bookshelves. The dimensions are 80 inches tall; 24 inches wide and 10
inches deep. I am minded to use 3/4 inch birch ply. What does the team
suggest is the best way to hide the end grain on the front edges of the
carcase and shelves?

You can either edge it by glueing on 1/4" thick solid wood or you can buy
some edge banding material that comes with a heat sensitive glue on the
back. You hold it in place and run a normal clothes iron over it. You then
trim the edges flush. The solid wood option is a better option, but more
work.

Frank